Monday, May 16, 2011

Pizza and Chocolate Cake: A Mother's Day Special

Last Sunday it rained really hard, so much so, that we were not able to go out to celebrate Mother's day. So there we were, stuck at home on Mother's day.  But then, I took advantage of the coolness of the weather and stayed all day in the kitchen, which I cannot usually do on a normal hot day.  That was why we were able to prepare two recipes: Pizza and chocolate cake!

Mother's Day pizza


Mother's Day Chocolate cake


I was also relieved we didn't have to go out since I was a bit excited to try the design I was planning for Mama.  I got the idea from the Internet and thought that it would be nice to put it in a cake.


Mother's Day chocolate cake super mom


I have several collections of chocolate cake recipes but I wasn't exactly contented with any of them. For days, I researched and researched for the moistest chocolate cake recipe I could find.  I know that research entails a lot of trial and error but I just watched several videos and judged the moistness according to their texture, using none other than my sense of sight.  LOL!  


Mother's Day Special pizza chocolate cake
 

Lucky for us, I hit the jackpot!  True to its form, the cake was extremely moist that you would no longer need a lot of fudge in order to make cake pops out of it.  (For those who are not aware, in general you'll need to add a generous amount of fudge to make the cake crumbs stick together.)  

chocolate cake piece of cake


The supposedly cake pops… but my husband likes to call it munchkins.  Well, since there were no sticks available at the time, munchkins it is.

chocolate cake pops


See the moistness?  I tried drizzling some with a few melted candy coatings.  Just a trial for future projects.


white chocolate candy coating


I also added a caramelized chocolate kisses in the middle of the second batch. (Thank you Mar for these creamy goodies!) 

Hershey's kisses filled with caramel


I did the same approach in my quest to find the most creamy fudge recipe.  I didn't use the fudge recipe from the chocolate cake baker.  Instead, I paired the cake from another bakers fudge recipe.

The combination made the whole family happy since everyone enjoyed both the texture and the taste.  Even I, who have developed a slight allergy to chocolates, was able to eat it.  Thanks to the smooth texture it doesn't stay long within the throat area.  Of course I still need to rinse it immediately with mouthwash and drink plenty of water afterwards, but even if I do the same thing with other recipes or chocolate based food, pharyngitis still develops after.  (A recurring illness that often bugs me since the day I lost my tonsils.  I have no idea if there's any significance though.)

Anyway, the supposedly simple celebration almost turned out to become a feast since there were only four of us who needed to devour all of these.

Mother's Day special pizza chocolate cake


Good thing my brother planned to visit his fiancée the same day, so he brought the other half of the cake. The remaining cake was the one I experimented in making cake pops.




What a wonderful way to spend a rainy summer Sunday. *Smile*


Maria


2 comments:

  1. WOW!!! i love the super mom cake! ang husay mo na, yes! keep it up :) kung kelangan mo ng judge, ahem dito lang kami hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Kayen! dahel ikaw ang first na nag comment na kilala ko, you'll have a prize sa next project. LOL!

    ReplyDelete